We want to ensure you have an enjoyable stay at On the Rivet retreats. To help us make this happen, please be aware of our terms and conditions below.
The following Booking Conditions form the basis of your contract with On the Rivet. Please read them carefully as they set out our respective rights and obligations. In these Booking Conditions, “you” and “your” means the lead name on the booking (including anyone who is added or substituted at a later date) or the company representative. “We”, “us” and “our” means On The Rivet.
1.Making your booking The person making the booking (“the individual, the party leader or company representative”) must be at least 18 and must be authorised to make the booking on the basis of these Booking Conditions by all persons named on the booking. By making the booking, the party leader confirms that he/she is so authorised and that all party members agree to be bound by these Booking Conditions. The party leader is responsible for making all payments due to us. Once we have received your on-line booking form and you have agreed to the terms and conditions of booking by ticking the relevant box, we will, subject to availability, confirm your retreat by issuing a confirmation invoice. Please check this invoice carefully as soon as you receive it. Contact us immediately if any information which appears on the confirmation or any other document appears to be incorrect or incomplete as it may not be possible to make changes later. At the same time as sending you our confirmation invoice we will also send our disclaimer form. Each guest must complete and sign the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire and return this to us together with payment within 10 days of receipt. If we do not receive the relevant payment and completed questionnaires within 10 days of the date specified on the confirmation invoice we shall be entitled to cancel your booking without penalty to ourselves. If we cancel your booking we shall have no further liability towards you.
2. Payment In order to confirm your chosen retreat, a deposit of 50% of the total cost of the retreat booking (or full payment if booking within nine weeks of departure) must be paid at the time of booking. The balance of the retreat cost must be received by us not less than nine weeks prior to departure. This date will be shown on the confirmation invoice. Reminders are not sent. If we do not receive all payments due (including any surcharge where applicable) in full and on time, we are entitled to assume that you wish to cancel your booking. In this case, we will be entitled to keep all deposits paid or due at that date. If we do not cancel straight away because you have promised to make payment, you must pay the cancellation charges shown in clause 6 depending on the date we reasonably treat your booking as cancelled.
3. Your contract Subject to clause 1, a binding contract between us comes into existence when we despatch our confirmation invoice to you. We both agree that English Law (and no other) will apply to your contract and to any dispute, claim or other matter of any description which arises between us (except as set out below). We both also agree that any dispute, claim or other matter of any description (and whether or not involving any personal injury) which arises between us must be dealt with by the Courts of England and Wales only unless, in the case of Court proceedings, you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland. In this case, proceedings must either be brought in the Courts of your home country or those of England and Wales. If proceedings are brought in Scotland or Northern Ireland, you may choose to have your contract and any dispute, claim or other matter of any description which arises between us governed by the law of Scotland/Northern Ireland as applicable (but if you do not so choose, English law will apply). Changes to these Booking Conditions will only be valid if agreed by us in writing.
4. The cost of your retreat We reserve the right to decrease the prices of unsold retreats at any time. The price of your chosen retreat will be confirmed at the time of booking.
5. Changes by you Should you wish to make any changes to your confirmed retreat, you must notify us in writing as soon as possible. Whilst we will endeavour to assist, we cannot guarantee we will be able to meet any such requests. Where we can, an amendment fee of £20 per person/per booking will be payable together with any costs incurred by ourselves and any costs or charges incurred or imposed by any of our suppliers.
6. Cancellation by you Should you or any member of your party need to cancel your chosen retreat once it has been confirmed, the party leader must immediately advise us in writing. Your notice of cancellation will only be effective when it is received in writing by us at our offices. As we incur costs from the time we confirm your booking and may be unable to re-sell your retreat, the following cancellation charges will be payable. Where the cancellation charge is shown as a percentage, this is calculated on the basis of the total cost payable by the person(s) cancelling excluding any amendment / cancellation charges which have already been incurred. Amendment / cancellation charges are not refundable in the event of the person(s) to whom they apply cancelling. Depending on the reason for cancellation, you may be able to reclaim these cancellation charges (less any applicable excess) under the terms of your insurance policy. Claims must be made directly to the insurance company concerned. Period before departure within which written notification of cancellation is received by us (cancellation charge per person cancelling): - More than 63 days prior to departure - Loss of deposit - 63 to 43 days prior to arrival - 40%. 42 to 29 days prior to arrival - 60%. 28 to 15 days prior to arrival - 80%. 14 or less days - 100%. Please note: no refunds will be given in respect of activities which you book and then do not take part in whilst on retreat (for example you miss the start time of the activity because you have overslept, are hungover or under the influence of drugs or simply change your mind). If any member(s) of your party is/are prevented from travelling, the person(s) concerned will be able to transfer their place to someone else (introduced by you) providing the following requirements are complied with. We must be notified of the transfer(s) not less than two weeks before arrival. A transfer will not be possible if there is a waiting list for places in which case the available place must be offered to the next person on that list. Where a transfer to a person of your choice can be made, all costs and charges incurred by us and/or incurred or imposed by any of our suppliers as a result together with an amendment fee of £20 must be paid before the transfer can be effected.
7. Insurance We consider adequate and appropriate travel insurance to be a pre-requisite to booking. It is your responsibility to ensure that any insurance provides adequate medical and cancellation cover. Please bear in mind that not all alternative insurance policies may offer cover for the sort of activities you may be taking part in during your retreat.
8. Changes and cancellation by us We start planning the retreats we offer many months in advance. Occasionally, we have to make changes to details both before and after bookings have been confirmed and cancel confirmed bookings. Whilst we always endeavour to avoid changes and cancellations, we must reserve the right to do so. However, we promise we will only cancel your confirmed booking 9 weeks or less before departure where you have failed to comply with any requirement of these booking conditions entitling us to cancel (such as paying on time) or where we are forced to do so as a result of circumstances outside our control/”force majeure” as defined in clause 9 below. We will not cancel after this date for any other reason. Most changes are minor. If we have to make a significant change or cancel, we will tell you as soon as possible. If there is time to do so before arrival, we will offer you the choice of the following options:- (a) (for significant changes) accepting the changed arrangements or (b) purchasing an alternative retreat date from us if available. (c) cancelling or accepting the cancellation in which case you will receive a full and quick refund of all monies you have paid to us. Please note, the above options are not available where any change made is a minor one. Furthermore the substitution of sporting activities, at least to a similar alternative, or a change in the order of any activities you are due to carry out will be considered as a minor change. If we have to make a significant change or cancel before arrival, we will pay you reasonable compensation subject to the following exceptions. Compensation will not be payable and no liability beyond offering the above mentioned choices can be accepted where (1) we are forced to make a change or cancel as a result of unusual and unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, the consequences of which we could not have avoided even with all due care or (2) we have to cancel because the minimum number of bookings necessary for us to operate your retreat has not been reached - in this case we will notify you by the deadline specified. No compensation will be payable if we cancel as a result of your failure to comply with any requirement of these booking conditions entitling us to cancel (such as paying on time). In all cases, our liability for significant changes and cancellations is limited to offering you the above mentioned options and, where applicable, compensation payments. No compensation is payable for minor changes. Very rarely, we may be forced by “force majeure” (see clause 9) to change or terminate your retreat after arrival but before the scheduled end of your time away. This is extremely unlikely but if this situation does occur, we regret we will be unable to make any refunds (unless we obtain any refunds from our suppliers), pay you any compensation or meet any costs or expenses you incur as a result.
9. Force majeure Except where otherwise expressly stated in these booking conditions, we regret we cannot accept liability or pay any compensation where the performance or prompt performance of our contractual obligations is prevented or affected by or you otherwise suffer any damage or loss (as more fully described in clause 10(1) below) as a result of “force majeure”. In these Booking Conditions, “force majeure” means any event which we or the supplier of the service(s) in question could not, even with all due care, foresee or avoid. Such events may include war or threat of war, riot, civil strife, terrorist activity or actual threatened terrorist activity, industrial dispute, natural or nuclear disaster, adverse weather conditions, fire and all similar events outside our control.
10. Our liability to you (1) We promise to make sure that the retreat arrangements we have agreed to make, perform or provide as applicable as part of our contract with you are made, performed or provided with reasonable skill and care. This means that, subject to these booking conditions, we will accept responsibility if, for example, you suffer death or personal injury or your contracted retreat arrangements are not provided as promised or prove deficient as a result of the failure of ourselves, our employees, agents or suppliers to use reasonable skill and care in making, performing or providing, as applicable, your contracted retreat arrangements. Please note it is your responsibility to show that reasonable skill and care has not been used if you wish to make a claim against us. In addition, we will only be responsible for what our employees, agents and suppliers do or do not do if they were at the time acting within the course of their employment (for employees) or carrying out work we had asked them to do (for agents and suppliers). (2) We will not be responsible for any injury, illness, death, loss (for example loss of enjoyment), damage, expense, cost or other sum or claim of any description whatsoever which results from any of the following: - the act(s) and/or omission(s) of the person(s) affected or any member(s) of their party or - the act(s) and/or omission(s) of a third party not connected with the provision of your retreat and which were unforeseeable or unavoidable or - ‘force majeure’ as defined in clause 9 above (3) Please note, we cannot accept responsibility for any services which do not form part of our contract. This includes, for example, any additional services, activities or facilities which any other supplier agrees to provide for you where the services, activities or facilities are not advertised on our website and we have not agreed to arrange them and any excursion you purchase whilst at your retreat. In addition, regardless of any wording used by us on our website or elsewhere, we only promise to use reasonable skill and care as set out above and we do not have any greater or different liability to you. (4) As set out in these booking conditions we limit the maximum amount we may have to pay you for any claims you may make against us. Where we are found liable for loss of and/or damage to any luggage or personal possessions (including money), the maximum amount we will have to pay you is £25 per person affected unless a lower limitation applies to your claim under this clause or clause 10 (5) below. For all other claims which do not involve death or personal injury, if we are found liable to you on any basis the maximum amount we will have to pay you is twice the price (excluding amendment charges) paid by or on behalf of the person(s) affected in total unless a lower limitation applies to your claim under clause 10 (6) below. This maximum amount will only be payable where everything has gone wrong and you have not received any benefit at all from your retreat. (5) Where any claim or part of a claim concerns or is based on any travel arrangements (including the process of getting on and off the transport concerned) provided by any air, sea, rail or road carrier or any stay in a hotel, the maximum amount of compensation we will have to pay you will be limited. The most we will have to pay you for that claim or that part of a claim if we are found liable to you on any basis is the most the carrier or hotel keeper concerned would have to pay under the international convention which applies to the travel arrangements or hotel stay in question (for example, the Warsaw Convention as amended or unamended and the Montreal Convention for international travel by air and/or for airlines with an operating licence granted by an EU country, the EC Regulation on Air Carrier Liability No 889/2002 for national and international travel by air, the Athens convention for international travel by sea). Please note: Where a carrier or hotel would not be obliged to make any payment to you under the applicable International Convention or Regulation in respect of a claim or part of a claim, we similarly are not obliged to make a payment to you for that claim or part of the claim. When making any payment, we are entitled to deduct any money which you have received or are entitled to receive from the transport provider or hotelier for the complaint or claim in question. Copies of the applicable International Conventions and Regulations are available from us on request. (6) Please note, we cannot accept any liability for any damage, loss, expense or other sum(s) of any description (1) which on the basis of the information given to us by you concerning your booking prior to our accepting it, we could not have foreseen you would suffer or incur if we breached our contract with you or (2) which did not result from any breach of contract or other fault by ourselves or our employees or, where we are responsible for them, our suppliers. Additionally we cannot accept liability for any business losses.(7) You must provide ourselves and our insurers with all assistance we may reasonably require. You must also tell us and the supplier concerned about your claim or complaint as set out in clause 11 below. If asked to do so, you must transfer to us or our insurers any rights you have against the supplier or whoever else is responsible for your claim or complaint (if the person concerned is under 18, their parent or guardian must do so). You must also agree to cooperate fully with us and our insurers if we or our insurers want to enforce any rights which are transferred.
11. Complaints and problems In the unlikely event that you have any reason to complain or experience any problems with your retreat whilst away, you must immediately inform our representative and the supplier of the service(s) in question. Any verbal notification must be put in writing and given to our representative and the supplier as soon as possible. Until we know about a problem or complaint, we cannot begin to resolve it. Most problems can be dealt with quickly. If you remain dissatisfied, however, you must write to us within 28 days of your return giving your booking reference and full details of your complaint. For all complaints and claims which do not involve death, personal injury or illness, we regret we cannot accept liability if you fail to notify the complaint or claim entirely in accordance with this clause.
12. Behaviour, your health and fitness When you book with us, you accept responsibility for any damage or loss caused by you or any member of your party. Full payment for any such damage or loss must be paid direct at the time to the accommodation owner or manager or other supplier. If you fail to do so, you will be responsible for meeting any claims subsequently made against us (together with our own and the other party’s full legal costs) as a result of your actions. We expect all clients to have consideration for other people. If in our reasonable opinion or in the reasonable opinion of any other person in authority, you or any member of your party behaves in such a way as to cause or be likely to cause danger, upset or distress to any third party or damage to property, we are entitled, without prior notice, to terminate the retreat of the person(s) concerned or we and the relevant person in authority (for example the activity provider) can prevent that person(s) from taking part in the activity(ies) concerned. In this situation, the person(s) concerned will be required to leave the accommodation or other service or activity area (as applicable). We will have no further responsibility toward such person(s) including any return travel arrangements. No refunds will be made and we will not pay any expenses or costs incurred as a result of the termination or prevention from taking part in the activity(ies) concerned. In order to take part in our cycling programme, all persons should be in good health and possess a reasonable basic level of fitness. Cycling at a reasonable pace for considerable periods of time carries its own inherent risks and by booking your retreat you acknowledge that you are exposing yourself to such risks. You must advise us prior to travel of any disability, medical or behavioural problems experienced by any member of your party (including yourself) which may affect that particular person or any other guests on the retreat. Please also see clause 14 below. Helmets As a condition of booking, helmets must be worn during all rides without exception. Riding etiquette Please cycle sensibly, with respect for others and the natural habitat. Cyclists are expected to follow The Highway Code - in particular the ‘Extra Rules for Cyclists’ (Rules 187-211). Anyone repeatedly cycling in a discourteous or unsafe manner placing themselves and other riders at risk of injury will be asked to leave the group. No refund or reduction will be given in this instance. Riders will be expected to listen to the safety briefing which will be given on arrival at your retreat and before the first ride. We will also require each guest to sign a disclaimer which will be sent to you upon booking.
13. Conditions of suppliers Some of the services which make up your retreat are provided by independent suppliers. Those suppliers provide these services in accordance with their own terms and conditions. Some of these terms and conditions may limit or exclude the supplier’s liability to you.
14. Special requests and medical problems If you have any special request, you must advise us at the time of booking and clearly note it on your booking form. If you or any member of your party has any medical problem or disability which may affect your retreat, please tell us before you confirm your booking. In any event, you must give us full details in writing at the time of booking. If we reasonably feel unable to properly accommodate the particular needs of the person concerned, we must reserve the right to decline their reservation or, if full details are not given at the time of booking, cancel when we become aware of these details.
15. Delay We regret we are not in a position to offer you any assistance in the event of delay at your outward or homeward point of departure. Any airline concerned may however provide refreshments etc. We cannot accept liability for any delay which is due to any of the reasons set out in clause 10 (2) of these booking conditions (which includes the behaviour of any passenger(s) on the flight who, for example, fails to check in or board on time). In addition, we will not be liable for any delay unless it has a significant effect on your retreat arrangements.
16. Flights In the event that the carrier with whom you have arranged your return flights to the Uk with is unable to operate the flight, we will not be held responsible and all charges will apply.